Government pays GH¢1.8bn for Free SHS, GH¢877m for School Feeding – Finance Minister

Government pays GH¢1.8bn for Free SHS, GH¢877m for School Feeding – Finance Minister

Finance Minister Dr Cassiel Ato Forson says  government has released GH¢1.8 billion to support the Free Senior High School (Free SHS) programme and GH¢877 million for the Ghana School Feeding Programme.

Presenting the 2026 Mid-Year Budget Review in Parliament on Thursday, July 24, Dr Forson said the payments were part of  government’s efforts to ease financial pressure on families and improve access to education.

He said government remains committed to maintaining social interventions that support vulnerable households and promote human capital development.

“To strengthen the Free Secondary Education Programme and ease the burden on families, an amount of GH¢1.8 billion to the Free Secondary Education Programme has been paid,” Dr Forson stated.

He also disclosed that GH¢877 million had been paid to the Ghana School Feeding Programme to provide nutritious meals and encourage school attendance among children.

The Finance Minister added that GH¢76 million had been released as Capitation Grant to support the implementation of Free Compulsory Basic Education.

Education Minister pledges to end double-track system within 24 months

Education Minister pledges to end double-track system within 24 months

The government has pledged to eliminate Ghana’s double-track system within the next 24 months as part of a broader effort to improve the quality of secondary education through expanded infrastructure and targeted reforms.

The initiative will be supported by a $300 million World Bank facility, which will be used to expand secondary school infrastructure and address long-standing challenges in the sector.

The government maintains that the funding is intended to create additional classroom space and improve teaching and learning conditions to enable a complete phase-out of the double-track system.

The announcement comes amid criticism from the Minority in Parliament, which has argued that the World Bank loan is intended to finance the Free Senior High School (Free SHS) programme and reflects the government’s inability to manage the economy after Ghana’s exit from the International Monetary Fund (IMF) programme.

However, the government insists the facility is dedicated to strengthening secondary education infrastructure rather than funding the Free SHS policy.

Beyond infrastructure expansion, the government says it is prioritising improvements in student welfare and learning outcomes.

About GH¢3.4 billion has been allocated through the Ghana Education Trust Fund (GETFund) in 2026 to enhance student feeding under the Free SHS programme, while reforms are also being pursued to strengthen teacher professionalism, review the curriculum and place greater emphasis on Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) education and information technology.

The Minister for Education, Haruna Iddrisu, disclosed this in an interview on Channel One TV on Monday, July 27, where he dismissed claims that the World Bank facility was meant to finance Free SHS.

“We’re borrowing to expand secondary education infrastructure. Don’t forget there was secondary education before Free SHS. We have finished our review; it has come to stay,” he said. He added that the World Bank funding would help eliminate the double-track system, which he said has reduced contact hours between teachers and students.

According to the minister, schools including Prempeh College and St Peter’s Senior High School have already begun making progress towards phasing out the double-track system.

He expressed confidence that the government’s investments in infrastructure and quality improvements would permanently resolve the challenge and restore the full academic calendar across all senior high schools.

Haruna Iddrisu: $300m World Bank loan not to fund Free SHS

Haruna Iddrisu: $300m World Bank loan not to fund Free SHS

The Minister of Education, Haruna Iddrisu, has dismissed claims that the government’s $300 million World Bank loan is intended to finance the Free Senior High School (Free SHS) programme.

His comments follow criticism from the Minority in Parliament, who argued that the loan was evidence of the government’s inability to manage the economy a few months after Ghana exited the International Monetary Fund (IMF) programme.

The Minority had suggested that the government was seeking the facility to sustain the implementation of the Free SHS policy.

Speaking in an interview with Bernard Avle on Channel One TV’s The Point of View on Monday, July 27, Mr Iddrisu rejected the assertion, explaining that the loan is aimed at addressing long-standing challenges within the secondary education sector.

He said the facility will support efforts to end the double-track system, upgrade existing schools, improve the quality of education and expand access for more students.

“We’re borrowing to expand secondary education infrastructure. Don’t forget there was secondary education before Free SHS. We have finished our review; it has come to stay,” he said.

The Education Minister outlined three major areas the government is focusing on, including infrastructure expansion, improving feeding arrangements and enhancing the quality of education.

According to him, a budgetary allocation of about GH¢3.4 billion has been made available through the Ghana Education Trust Fund (GETFund) in 2026 to address feeding challenges under the Free SHS programme.

He added that the government is also focused on improving the quality of graduates by strengthening teacher professionalism, updating curriculum content and placing greater emphasis on Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) education and information technology.

Mr Iddrisu said the World Bank facility is specifically intended to help eliminate the double-track system, which he said has affected teaching and learning time between students and teachers.

“The World Bank loan is to help us end the double-track system, which didn’t allow for qualitative enhancement in terms of time hours between teachers and students. Within the next 24 months, we should see an end to the double-track system,” he stated.

He cited schools including Prempeh College and St Peter’s Senior High School as institutions that have started making progress towards ending the double-track system.

AfricaRice, AATF Launch Five-Year Partnership to Support Rice Farmers, Cut $6bn Import Bill

AfricaRice, AATF Launch Five-Year Partnership to Support Rice Farmers, Cut $6bn Import Bill

The Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice) and the African Agricultural Technology Foundation (AATF) have launched a five-year partnership aimed at improving rice production, strengthening food and nutrition security, and reducing Africa’s estimated $6 billion annual rice import bill.

The partnership, formalised through a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU), will combine AfricaRice’s expertise in rice research and technology development with AATF’s experience in scaling agricultural innovations to smallholder farmers across 32 African countries.

According to AfricaRice, the continent currently produces more than 30 million metric tonnes of rice annually, with Nigeria, Egypt and Madagascar among the leading producers. Despite this, Africa continues to rely heavily on imports to meet growing consumer demand.

Under the agreement, the two organisations will work together to strengthen the rice value chain by expanding farmers’ access to improved rice varieties, including high-yielding hybrid rice, while promoting technologies that increase productivity from seed production to processing and marketing.

The collaboration will focus on quality seed production and distribution, good agricultural practices, mechanisation, decision-support tools for efficient input use, and improved rice processing technologies.

The Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice) and the African Agricultural Technology Foundation (AATF) have launched a five-year partnership aimed at improving rice production, strengthening food and nutrition security, and reducing Africa’s estimated $6 billion annual rice import bill.

The partnership, formalised through a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU), will combine AfricaRice’s expertise in rice research and technology development with AATF’s experience in scaling agricultural innovations to smallholder farmers across 32 African countries.

According to AfricaRice, the continent currently produces more than 30 million metric tonnes of rice annually, with Nigeria, Egypt and Madagascar among the leading producers. Despite this, Africa continues to rely heavily on imports to meet growing consumer demand.

Under the agreement, the two organisations will work together to strengthen the rice value chain by expanding farmers’ access to improved rice varieties, including high-yielding hybrid rice, while promoting technologies that increase productivity from seed production to processing and marketing.

The collaboration will focus on quality seed production and distribution, good agricultural practices, mechanisation, decision-support tools for efficient input use, and improved rice processing technologies.

Director-General of AfricaRice, Dr. Baboucarr Manneh, said the partnership is designed to bridge the gap between scientific research and practical application.

“Through this partnership, we will work together with AATF to develop and promote mechanised tools and agricultural equipment to reduce drudgery in rice production, improve processing efficiency and enhance the quality of locally produced rice,” he said.

Executive Director of AATF, Dr. Canisius Kanangire, described the collaboration as timely, noting that Africa’s food systems are under increasing pressure from population growth, climate change and declining agricultural productivity.

“We stand at a crossroads in Africa’s food production journey, where population growth, climate change and declining agricultural productivity continue to threaten food and nutrition security. By investing in agricultural innovations, we have a unique opportunity to transform African agriculture into a powerful driver of economic growth,” he said.

The organisations said the partnership would accelerate the adoption of improved rice technologies and support Africa’s drive towards greater rice self-sufficiency through stronger collaboration between research institutions, governments and the private sector.

The Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice) and the African Agricultural Technology Foundation (AATF) have launched a five-year partnership aimed at improving rice production, strengthening food and nutrition security, and reducing Africa’s estimated $6 billion annual rice import bill.

The partnership, formalised through a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU), will combine AfricaRice’s expertise in rice research and technology development with AATF’s experience in scaling agricultural innovations to smallholder farmers across 32 African countries.

According to AfricaRice, the continent currently produces more than 30 million metric tonnes of rice annually, with Nigeria, Egypt and Madagascar among the leading producers. Despite this, Africa continues to rely heavily on imports to meet growing consumer demand.

Under the agreement, the two organisations will work together to strengthen the rice value chain by expanding farmers’ access to improved rice varieties, including high-yielding hybrid rice, while promoting technologies that increase productivity from seed production to processing and marketing.

The collaboration will focus on quality seed production and distribution, good agricultural practices, mechanisation, decision-support tools for efficient input use, and improved rice processing technologies.

Director-General of AfricaRice, Dr. Baboucarr Manneh, said the partnership is designed to bridge the gap between scientific research and practical application.

“Through this partnership, we will work together with AATF to develop and promote mechanised tools and agricultural equipment to reduce drudgery in rice production, improve processing efficiency and enhance the quality of locally produced rice,” he said.

Executive Director of AATF, Dr. Canisius Kanangire, described the collaboration as timely, noting that Africa’s food systems are under increasing pressure from population growth, climate change and declining agricultural productivity.

“We stand at a crossroads in Africa’s food production journey, where population growth, climate change and declining agricultural productivity continue to threaten food and nutrition security. By investing in agricultural innovations, we have a unique opportunity to transform African agriculture into a powerful driver of economic growth,” he said.

The organisations said the partnership would accelerate the adoption of improved rice technologies and support Africa’s drive towards greater rice self-sufficiency through stronger collaboration between research institutions, governments and the private sector.

The initiative comes amid growing investment in the continent’s rice sector. At the recent West Africa Rice Investment Roundtable in Accra, governments, development partners and private investors pledged $1.54 billion to boost domestic rice production, improve processing capacity and reduce dependence on imported rice.

2026 Mid-year budget: Govt irrigation projects near completion

2026 Mid-year budget: Govt irrigation projects near completion

The Government is working on major irrigation projects, with construction at Atonsu, Ekyeamanfrom and Konadu under the Afram Plains Economic Enclave Irrigation Project reaching between 80 and 92 per cent completion in heavy investment into agriculture. 

The projects are expected to provide about 3,330 hectares of irrigable land.

The Minister of Finance, Dr Cassiel Ato Forson, who disclosed this during his presentation of the Mid-Year Fiscal Policy Review in Parliament last Thursday, said the Tamne Irrigation Project Phase III had reached 75 per cent completion, while rehabilitation work at the Vea, Ashaiman, Aveyime and Dawhenya irrigation schemes had also made significant progress.

He added that the National Food Buffer Stock Company purchased more than 20,000 metric tonnes of grains during the first half of 2026, and planned to increase its stock to about 32,000 metric tonnes by the end of the year.

Local news alerts

Feed Ghana project

The Finance Minister said the government continued to prioritise agriculture through the Feed Ghana Programme, which was supporting higher productivity, import substitution and employment by investing in crop production, livestock, irrigation and mechanisation.

He said the government procured 300 metric tonnes each of maize seed and Agyapa rice seed developed by the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research for distribution to farmers, and further acquired 96,000 litres of organic fertiliser, with 24,000 litres already distributed by June this year, alongside the procurement of 18,684 metric tonnes of inorganic fertiliser for similar purposes.

He stated: “500 District Feed Ghana Brigade Officers have been temporarily engaged to improve farmer registration, extension services and field monitoring. Government would also provide 500 motorbikes to strengthen agricultural service delivery across the country”.

Under the National School Farm Initiative, he said 500 senior high schools had registered to receive improved seeds, fertilisers, agrochemicals and technical support to equip students with practical agricultural skills.

Ghana travel guide

Poultry production

On poultry production, Dr Forson said 70 anchor farmers had been selected under the Poultry Farm-to-Table Project, while about two million day-old chicks had been brooded and distributed across 10 regions.

Procurement had also started for an additional four million day-old chicks and 500,000 Kuroiler birds to increase domestic poultry production and reduce imports.

Government also procured 47.35 million doses of veterinary vaccines, while 7.14 million doses were produced locally.

“The investments we are making are strengthening agricultural production, creating jobs and reducing the country’s dependence on food import.

We remain committed to supporting farmers and agribusinesses to expand production and improve incomes,” he said.

The Finance Minister also said the first phase of the Women and Youth in Aquaculture Programme was being implemented in 80 districts, benefiting 4,000 people organised into 80 cooperative groups.

The beneficiaries were receiving training in aquaculture production, financial management, entrepreneurship and business planning, while partnerships with private firms and financial institutions were being used to improve access to financing, technical support and markets, he said.